WRITTEN BY: PATRICK CASH
November 11, 1939: During the 1939 Founders’ Day celebrations, Mars Hill College officially dedicated a historic log church in Locust Grove, near the burial site of Joe Anderson as a symbol of the institution’s dependence on small mountain churches in the early years of the school’s history. The log structure originally stood on Arrington Branch in the Grapevine Community of Madison County before being relocated to campus and rebuilt by students during the 1939 academic year. The building was one of the last small churches built entirely of log in the area. During the formal dedication, the Reverend J.R. Owens, long time past of the Mars Hill Baptist Church, was the featured speaker while Professor J.A. McLeod oversaw the special event. In 1971, the log building was once again moved to its current location on the lower quad where it was given much needed refurbishing in 1997 before being formally renamed the “Heritage Cabin.” Today, the Heritage Cabin still sits on the lower quad and is a popular photograph location for students and alumni returning to campus.